Custom 360 Video Player

Atmosphaeres

Custom 360 Video Player

Postby Atmosphaeres » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am

Hi all,

First time poster here so please excuse if I am asking questions that are obvious to more experienced folks. I'm also absolutely not a programmer but instead looking for someone who may be able to help on that front.

What I am after is a custom 360 video player with very simple functionality. All it needs to do is to play back a single video that is embedded into a website. It needs to run on all current desktop (MacOS, Win, Linux) and mobile (iOS, Android, etc.) operating systems as well as the various top 5 browsers on these systems. We would need the ability to switch between spherical, 360 view and flat, equirectangular mode and be able to display to VR headsets that are attached to the playback device.

In terms of encoding, ideally, we would need a drag and drop approach where we simply load a video into an interface that automatically generates the various video and audio files as well as the different resolutions that are needed for the different operating systems and browsers. In a perfect world we would be able to batch process such source videos into player-ready videos.

So my question is whether any or all of these requirements are possible with ForgeJS and how much effort it would be to set up a system that will allow us such a streamlined process?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

rroux
ForgeJS Team

Re: Custom 360 Video Player

Postby rroux » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Eric,

ForgeJS si able to play videos in rectilinear (360) and flat equirectangular view on major browsers including mobile and webVR.
Please try this simple video sample on different browsers : https://releases.forgejs.org/latest/sam ... cts/video/
Note : This specific sample will not play in Safari because of security reasons related to our hosting solution. This will not happen if every of your resources are hosted on a same server.

ForgeJS do not encode the videos for you, you have to provide the encoded videos to ForgeJS.
To be able to batch your videos into Ready to play ForgeJS projects you will need a software developer to develop a quick tool that :
- take a video as input (or a list of videos and loop through this process for each video)
- encode the different video qualities with an open solution like ffmpeg.
- generate a dedicated ForgeJS project for the video.

Please tell me if you have question or any feedback about the simple video sample.
Of course you can have the same thing with a video interface like this one : https://releases.forgejs.org/latest/sam ... -controls/

Hope this helps, have a nice day Eric :)
- Raphaël

Atmosphaeres

Postby Atmosphaeres » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks Raphael,

So I use a tool to encode e.g. 4 different resolutions in both, mp4 and webm video as well as mp3 and ogg audio and what happens then? I can point the ForgeJS player to a html/php file and the player automatically selects the correct video and audio for the browser that is being used?

With the samples that you sent I couldn't find a way to switch between equirect and spherical display. Also, I can't seem to find a way to enable VR mode.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

rroux
ForgeJS Team

Postby rroux » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Eric,

Not all of our sample have GUI to demonstrate all the features at the same time.

You can try VR with this sample : https://releases.forgejs.org/latest/sam ... e-project/
Just click on the VR button to switch to VR. If the VR button does not appear, it is because your browser is not VR compatible.

You can try the view change on this sample : https://releases.forgejs.org/latest/sam ... ange-view/
- Raphaël

Atmosphaeres

Postby Atmosphaeres » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks Raphael, your help is greatly appreciated.

If I have any further questions, I will get back in touch!

Thanks,

Eric